Material and Process Universe
EduPack contains the Material and Process Universe – a unique database compiled by Prof Mike Ashby and the team at Granta Design, covering information on all classes of materials and processes. Level 1 supports introductory teaching, with images of how materials are used, explanatory text, and selected property data for 69 of the most common materials. Level 2 expands this coverage, while Level 3 provides comprehensive property data for as more than 3,900 types of materials: ideal for project-work at advanced level.
The database enables comparison across materials classes by making sure that a core set of properties are complete for every material.
Additional data from Granta
Available within the appropriate CES EduPack Editions, these enhanced data sets add information for:
- Aerospace – extra temperature-dependent property data plus links to MMPDS and CMH-17
- Architecture – pictures of architectural applications; data on where materials are used; bending moduli, hygrothermal, durability, and flammability properties
- Bio Engineering – biological, bio-derived and bio-medical materials with data on biocompatibility, sterilizability, RoHS compliance and food grade ratings
- Eco Design – geo-economic data, restricted substances and critical materials, energy, carbon footprint and water usage
- Materials Science & Engineering –functional, biological, and structural materials; fibers; phase diagrams; data to illustrate process / structure /property relationships
- Polymers – trade names, filler type, impact properties, and chemical resistance, plus links to CAMPUS and Prospector Plastics
- Sustainability – environmental properties of materials and data on energy systems, regulation, and the Nations of the world – Social, Economic and Geographic data.
Specialist data from third parties
In addition, the Aerospace, Bioengineering and Polymer Editions include widely-respected databases licensed from leading data provides, as used in industry.
- Aerospace data from the authoritative MMPDS aero alloy reference
- Composites information from CMH-17
- Plastics data from CAMPUS Plastics and Prospector Plastics
- Bio Engineering data via links online to the ASM Medical Materials Database
Our data process
Granta’s team of materials experts, reviews and updates the Material and Process Universe data in CES EduPack each year. Every record links to a list of the references used to create it. The team employs a hierarchical data checking scheme. Where data cannot be obtained from published sources (or measured), estimates are calculated (and clearly labelled) so that potential material options are not missed during selection studies due to missing properties.