Biomedical materials and the Circular Economy
October 15, 2019 at 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm BST
Presented by Dr. Lakshana Mohee and Dr. Harriet Parnell
The framework for circular economy is increasingly used in industry to improve product sustainability and decrease costs. However, the healthcare sector is often overlooked due to the challenges associated with the safety and sterility of its products and materials. In this webinar, we’ll explore the delicate trade-off between material performance and sustainability in bioengineering, and how CES EduPack helps students to explore these issues.
What you will learn
- Learn about the circular economy framework and its links to product sustainability
- Gain inspiration for teaching about these issues in the context of the challenges posed when innovating in the bioengineering sector
- Discover simple material selection exercises that can be visually presented in an Ashby chart to help students understand why some materials are better than others for biomedical applications
- See how the Eco Audit tool helps students explore the environmental impact of material choices.
Who should take part?
- Academics teaching on biomaterials-related courses and those interested in sustainability, i.e. introducing challenges/concepts associated with the circular economy.