From introductory materials teaching to advanced materials selection
May 17, 2019
INSA LYON – Bibliothèque M. Curie – Amphithéâtre Emilie du Châtelet
- This event has passed.
Join this one-day workshop for inspirational ideas and teaching resources that will help you to engage students in learning about materials and their use in engineering and design applications.
- Discover the basics of systematic materials selection methodology, teaching transferable skills to your students. This includes hands-on exercises
- Delve deeper into material selection methodology by examining an advance industrial case study
- Discuss ideas of how best to teach materials-related topics
- Learn how to engage students using our interactive, visual software, with access to reliable materials data including hands-on exercises
- Gain insight into advanced teaching data and tools, as well as a sneak peak of the future CES EduPack developments that are being worked on.
Who should attend?
- Anyone teaching materials or related subjects in engineering, science, design, or sustainable development
- Educators who are not yet using CES EduPack – what is it, and how can it support your teaching?
- Educators who are using CES EduPack – what’s new?
- Educators across campus and throughout the college and University curriculum
“The workshop turned out to be a very productive day for me. I strongly recommend that my colleagues, both beginners and seasoned users, participate in the upcoming users workshop. You will learn a great deal, and I guarantee that you won’t be bored!”
Professor David Pope, University of Pennsylvania
| Han University of Applied Sciences | IUT Lyon | Jönköping University | TU Delft | Nottingham Trent University | Karlstad University | Universität Paderborn | Université d’Artois | Université de Liège | KU Leuven | Linköping | ENSAM ParisTech | De Haagse Hogeschool | KEA, Copenhagen School of Design and Technology | Shrewsbury College | Northumbria University | University of Brighton | Universidad Politécnica de Madrid | University of Wolverhampton | Universidad Rey Juan Carlos | Universidad de Salamanca | Universidade Nova de Lisboa | Bergische Universität Wuppertal | San Francisco State University | Karlsruhe |
Friday, May 17, 2019
|8:30 AM||Registration & refreshments|
|9 AM||Course opens – Welcome, Introductions, Granta’s Education Hub and Agenda Review|
|9:30 AM||Getting started with CES EduPack
Learn how to engage students using our interactive, visual software, with access to reliable materials data including hands-on exercises.
|10:45 AM||Coffee break|
|11:15 AM||Materials Selection: translation, screening, ranking
Discover the basics of systematic materials selection methodology, teaching transferable skills to your students. Including hands-on exercises.
|1:15 PM||Objectives in Conflict and Advanced Industrial Case Study
Delve deeper into material selection methodology by examining an advance industrial case study.
|2:15 PM||Eco-Design and the Eco Audit Tool: introducing students to life-cycle thinking
Examine Eco Design and Life-cycle thinking to support material selection from greener products.
|3 PM||Coffee break|
|3:30 PM||Knowledge and Ideas Exchange for Educators (Discussion)
Discussion of ideas of how to teach materials related topics
|4 PM||Advanced Teaching and Future Developments
Lightening tour of the advanced teaching data and tools, as well as a sneak peak of the future developments that are being worked on.
|4:30 PM||Wrap up and discussion. Course evaluation.|
About CES EduPack
Originating from Professor Mike Ashby’s work at Cambridge University and used by 1000+ worldwide, including Jönköping University, TU Delft, IUT Lyon, CES EduPack enhances the teaching of materials at all levels of university education across Engineering, Science, and Design.
Costs & Registration
Early Bird Rate
Normal Rate (after Apr 19)
Registration includes the workshop package, lunch and refreshments.
Discounted Registration for Groups
Please contact Charlotte Kirby (Event Specialist) for group discount registration. To qualify:
- All attendees must be from the same university.
- Group size must be of three (3) or more.
- All attendees must register at the same time.
- Full payment must be received at the time of registration.
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Room Number: HUB 337